Saturday, October 19, 2013

31 Days of Goosebumps - Book 50. Calling All Creeps


Book 50: Calling All Creeps

This was the last Goosebumps book I bought when I was a kid. I never read it but I loved the cover. If I were to do a list of my top 10 favorite Goosebumps covers this would definitely be top 5.

The story follows Ricky. He is mocked on a daily basis by his entire school. When the mean editor of the school paper fires him he leaves a message at the bottom of the paper telling all creeps to call her with her number. However she sees this message and changes it to his name and number.

Ricky begins getting weird phone calls. Eventually he discovers that the four biggest bullies in school are actually creeps (Lizard creatures) who believe Ricky is their leader. They have seeds which will turn the rest of the school into creeps.

They bake the seeds into cookies and Ricky tries desperately to save the school but when a creepy mentions that once the students transform he’ll be their leader he hands off the cookies.

THE BAD: I get so really frustrated which the bullying in this book. Actually not the bully, but the authority figures not giving a shit about the bullying. That bugged me to no end.

THE GOOD: The end is wonderfully dark. And that book cover.

THE TV SHOW EPISODE:  As I said, this is one of my favorite Goosebump covers. Specifically for the look of the creeps on the cover so I was a little disappointed by the look of them in the book. The biggest issue in this particular adaptation is due to it’s short length. Reading the book EVERYONE is an asshole to Ricky so when he decides to let them become Creeps it made sense. Only a handful of people are seen as being douche towards him in the episode so Ricky’s choice to let them all become Creeps makes him a little bit of a dick. Still justifiable though.

No comments:

Post a Comment