Tuesday, October 8, 2013

31 Days of Goosebumps: Book 39. How I Got My Shrunken Head


Book 39: How I Got My Shrunken Head

After how disappointing the last few books have been I went into this one expecting a similar let-down. I was pleasantly surprised that I actually enjoyed this unique little story.

Mark’s favorite aunt Benna lives in the jungle island of Baladora doing work. One day one of her co-workers shows up with a shrunken head for him and a surprise. Benna has requested Mark comes to the jungle to visit her.

He excitedly joins only to find out that Aunt Benna is missing and they want him to find her. They believe he possesses “Jungle Magic” according to his aunt’s diaries. When he reads the diaries he discovers that the people he’s with are evil and runs away.

While in the jungle he discovers how to unlock the jungle magic and finds his aunt but just at that moment her coworkers find them both. Using the jungle magic he shrinks them and returns home.  

THE BAD: There’s a few weird elements reading this at 27 vs. reading it at 10 but in general there’s not much bad in this.

THE GOOD: While the story isn’t particularly scary or anything, it’s unique and fun enough.

THE TV SHOW EPISODE:  Not really sure why they felt this needed to be a two-part episode but I will say that the kid is a shockingly decent actor (specifically for Goosebumps) I’m not surprised to see he’s gone on to do many other things (including Degrassi and Juno). I loved the addition of Asian Elvis. I also liked the ending a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment