Friday, October 28, 2011

31 Movies of Halloween: The Strangers

Every day this month I've been watching a different horror movie and writing a review.



In 2008 I went to the movie with my girlfriend and a couple we were friends with. We went to see The Strangers. I was the only one excited to see it and it seems like I was the only one who enjoyed it at the end.


The plot line follows Kristen McKay and James Hoyt on a vacation at James’ Family’s remote summer house. They are tormented by 2 women in pin-up masks and a man with a sack over his head. This is really all the information you need to know about this movie.


One of my previous films on my list was House of 1,000 Corpses and I discussed people constantly comparing it to Texas Chainsaw Massacre, in reality The Strangers has more a feeling of a TCM than anything else in the last few years (including the remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre). Everything in this movie feels like something out of 70’s cinema.


The best element o the film comes from the soundtrack, or lack there of. The direction focused on legitimate suspense and eeriness over gore and jump scares. There’s minimal dialogue and almost no external music. While The Strangers was a box office success it received mixed reviews critically and is definitely underappreciated. Currently they are working on a sequel featuring all of the original cast (that survived the movie anyway). I’m interested to see how it is and if it gets a theatric or straight to video release.





When he's not writing blogs Matt can be founds tweet, producing his own podcast and writing for Geekscape.net. The Strangers doesn't scare him because he can't afford a house to be invaded.

No comments:

Post a Comment