Sunday, October 23, 2011

31 Movies of Halloween: Magic

Every day this month I'm watching and review different horror movies, I hope you enjoy

DAY 23: MAGIC

A few days ago I posted a guilty pleasures review on Dead Silence. I referenced this film in that article. It’s hard to completely call Magic a horror film. I typically hate when people use the term psychological thriller as a way to not call a good smart film ‘horror’. Unlike films like Silence of the Lambs (which has elements based on the same inspiration as Psycho and Texas Chainsaw Massacre), but Magic is so focused on the actual psychology of Corky (Anthony Hopkins).


The film goes out of it’s way to not answer the question of if Fats (the dummy) is evil and alive or if Corky is hearing voices. The film is purposely slow paced and it completely works. Burgess Meredith gives an incredible performance (as always) and Anthony Hopkins is just as creepy as he is as Hannibal but less eerie and moresome sad.


I remember hearing about this from family members. They used to tell me how terrifying it and as much I love it, it’s not terrifying. I find the trailer much more frightening.



Either way it’s one of my favorite pieces of 70’s horror. If you like a good mysterious horror film instead of a body count then this is highly recommended.





When he's not blogging Matt is writing on twitter, writing for Geekscape and producing his own podcast. He wants to be a puppeteer but can't afford the dummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment