Wednesday, October 12, 2011

31 Movies of Halloween: House of 1,000 Corpses

This month I've been watching a different horror movie each day and blogging about it, enjoy

DAY 12: HOUSE OF 1,000 CORPSES


There are few fans that have people as split as House of 1,000 Corpses. The film has a fair share of die-hard fans but an equal amount of people who despise the movie. I’m in the first camp but totally understand that the second camp has nothing but valid arguments. I just don’t care, sometimes it’s nice that when you’re going... “I can’t decide between Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Hills have Eyes or Friday the 13th” you have the option to watch them all at once.


As much as people shit on this movie, let’s be honest. As horror fans, we’d have probably made a similar film. It’s a tribute to the classic horror films of the 70’s and 80’s, it’s got some intense death scenes and it completely feels like a new director’s first film.


House of 1,000 corpses is a paint by numbers horror film, but Rob Zombie’s strange decisions make this worth watching. Casting (then unknown) comedians Rainn WIlson and Chris Hardwick as it’s lead victims and pitting them against exploitation horror icons Bill Mosley and Sid Haig says (to me) exactly what this movie is. It’s a tribute to the classic horror films of the 70’s but having a sense of fun mixed in.


I’ve watch this movie a ridiculous amount of times (basically because it was one of the first 3 DVDs I ever owned).


I recommend it to everyone but I know only half of them will like it.




When Matt's not blogging he's tweeting, producing his own podcast THE SAINT MORT SHOW and writing for Geekscape.net. If he had a dollar for every Corpse he'd be a thousandaire

No comments:

Post a Comment