Saturday, December 14, 2013

25 DVDs of Christmas - Day 14. A Garfield Christmas Special


This was another one of the specials found on that VHS tape my aunt made me all those many years ago. Garfield & Friends (and even the comic strips) don't specifically stand the test of time, but this is not the case with with Christmas Special. I have the same feelings when I watch it now at 28 that I did when I was 8.

The jokes still make me laugh, but more importantly the sweet moments are still sweet. The most difficult scene for me to watch (more so since my grandfather died 12 years ago) is the sequence where Grandmom rocks in her rocking chair talking to Garfield about dealing with the loss of her husband. It's a pure and beautiful moment in a cartoon about a "talking" cat (I realize no one hears what Garfield says).

No comments:

Post a Comment