Wednesday, July 10, 2013

My Latest Obsession: The Mars Volta: De-loused in the Comatorium

The Mars Volta: De-Loused in the Comatorium

I can't say I disliked At the Drive-In. That absolutely was not the case, I actually quite enjoyed a good handful of their songs however I was not obsessed with them like many music critics. Perhaps that's the reason that I constantly was putting off listening to the Mars Volta.

However after a ton of people telling me I had to give them a chance I decided to pick up their debut album to see what they were all about. It shattered my mind.

I understand that this album is a concept album but I frankly wasn't listening to the lyrics closely enough to decipher the story, my ears were far too focused on the music. There are moments of intense insanity (specifically on the track Drunkship of Lanterns) and moments of beautiful (I hate that I'm about to use this word) epicness.

Also this album managed to do that very few have been able to accomplish in the life of Matt Kelly. I have a relatively short attention span which has made me pretty unforgiving to many Prog-Rock songs. However this album kept my attention even during Cicatriz ES a song in the dead center of the album running over 12 minutes long. I didn't lose my attention even when the song broke into an 8 minute "feedback solo".

This is not an album for everyone but this record certainly made a big impression on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment