Tuesday, July 30, 2013

100 Albums That Make Me Love Music: 27. Atmosphere - When Life Gives You Lemons, Paint That Shit Gold


27. Atmosphere: When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold

When I first heard Atmosphere’s 5th album I was a newest fan. I had owned Seven’s Travels for a few years. I wasn’t a huge fan at the time but over the years it grew on me and I bought godlovesugly and Lucy Ford and fell in love. So I excitedly picked up When Life Gives You Lemons when it was released and was kinda left feeling confused.

It kicks off with Like The Rest of Us, a laidback track using just a simple drumbeat and piano to create the beat. This goes throughout most of the record, laidback tracks and real instruments. What also stood out to me was that lyrically it felt much less personal.

Instead of writing about his own life Slug seemed to focus on fictional characters (which admittedly still allowed him to shine as a storyteller), I probably would have never listened to the album again if it wasn’t until I got to the track Yesterday (#9), the piano-based letter to his father immediately captivated me. I decided to give the album a second listen and fell in love with songs like Puppets, In Her Music Box and The Waitress.

By the third listen I was head over heels for the entire record. A few years later I consider it the best thing in the Atmosphere discography. If you’ve never heard Atmosphere before, I think this might be the best introduction record.

No comments:

Post a Comment