Tuesday, July 16, 2013

100 Music That Make Me Love Music - 29. The Beastie Boys: Paul's Boutique


29. Beastie Boys: Paul’s Boutique

Like most people my age. I grew up loving the Beastie Boys. Last year when MCA died I was beyond devastated and wrote a farewell letter for Geekscape.net. But also like most kids at that point I knew Ill Communications and Licensed to Ill and not much of the things in between.

I even recall a few people telling me to just ignore Paul’s Boutique all together because it’s just bad. I don’t remember who these people were... but they’re fools. It wasn’t until later when I kept hearing it referred to as one of the most important albums of all time. Finally I just went ahead a purchased it and like many other people have said... it changed my life.

Okay, that’s probably a little much but you get my point. This has been called the Sgt. Pepper of Hip-Hop and that’s not an overstatement. It is the best rap album ever made (only 2 other rap albums rank higher on my favorite albums ever list). 

The Beasties did the balliest thing possible with this follow up album. They choose that the follow up to their MASSIVE album by doing a record that sounded NOTHING like it. Instead of party rock music that has a few samples of classic rock songs they created a 14 track album built out of 105 samples. Check out the impressive combination of random song samples in the opening track Shake Your Rump.

That’s just the start. This is one of my favorite albums to just put on and drive around blasting. If someone has filled your head with the idea that the CD sucks, ignore them and buy this CD. It’s a must have.

No comments:

Post a Comment