Thursday, July 4, 2013

100 Movies That Make Me Love Movies: 31. Toxic Avenger


31. Toxic Avenger

The 90’s were a weird time. Anything could become a marketable children’s cartoon. Despite all that, nothing was more confusing than the decision to make Toxic Avenger into a children’s cartoon. But I didn’t care. As a kid Toxic Crusaders was my favorite cartoon. When I say as I kid I mean like 5 or 6 years old.

When I was a kid I used to hang out with my Uncle Craig a lot. He was a huge horror buff and would put together this elaborate and awesome halloween displays. He had thousands of movies, most of which I was afraid to watch. However one day while the family was out in the pool I was in his basement looking at his VHS tapes and suddenly I saw my buddy Toxie’s face on a VHS cover. 

I got extremely excited and immediately put the tape into the VCR. What occurred next was 30 minutes or so of things a 6 year old shouldn’t be watching. Plenty of nudity, a man melting due to toxic waste exposure and finally my breaking point Toxie poking out someone’s eyeballs. I ran screaming from the room and my mother had to comfort me that it’s all fake.

It wasn’t until years later when I was in 7th grade and I rented the movie and finally completed the film. What I found was an incredible movie filled with human and for a low-budget movie some impressive special effects. 

I’d watched the shitty sequels but it wasn’t until college that my true love affair with Troma pictures was rekindled. They are now (and have been for a while) my favorite film company. While they’re not always winners, they always have a charm and heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment