Saturday, October 20, 2012

31 Days of Goosebumps Part 1 - 20. The Scarecrow Walks At Midnight



I know that I owned this book (because bought pretty much every Goosebump book at one point or another); but I also know I never read it because i figured ‘who cares’. That being said when I read this one of the first time today I was shocked by how much I liked it.

There is something kinda creepy about Scarecrows (although i rarely see them as a threat). What’s funny is that I thought for sure I knew the ending but I over thought it. But I’m getting ahead of myself.

The story follows Jodie and Mark. They’re visiting their grandparents farm for a month and are excited for all the fun things they do every year. However this year things are weird. Their grandparents don’t tell scary stories or make chocolate chip pancakes anymore. Meanwhile their helper who is ‘a little slow’ keeps mumbling about the Scarecrows walking around at midnight and his book of superstitions.

Now for some reason in my mind I convinced myself that Stanley had managed to switch the minds of some Scarecrows with Jodie’s grandparents. However the answer is far more simple, Stanley brought the scarecrows to life.

THE BAD: There’s not too much I had to complain about. This was a great book. It’s a shame I put it off this many years.

THE GOOD: The concept is quite an original concept.  



THE TV SHOW EPISODE: The TV show adaptation wasn’t too bad. The scarecrows are appropriately creepy looking however I have one complaint. The performance of Stanley has far too much malice to it. He’s written as the simple friendly but strange guy who you’d never expect to do something awful, instead he’s introduced as stern and cold.


Book 21 -------->

No comments:

Post a Comment