Monday, October 15, 2012

31 Days of Goosebumps Part 1 - 15. You Can't Scare Me



I know I read this book. I say this a lot I realize but unlike those other books I distinctly remember where I read this book. It was during a vacation I read it in the backseat of my parents Oldsmobile... sadly that’s all I really remember about the book.

The story follows Eddie and his group of friends as they attempt to scare the ‘unscarable’ Courtney. Every attempt fails. Finally they decide to use Eddie’s brother’s Mud Monster costumes. 

You see there’s a local legend about these Mud Monsters, so infamous that Eddie’s brother decided to make a horror movie about them. However when they arrive to scare Courtney they see the Mud Monsters and shortly afterwards Eddie’s brother shows up with the costumes. 

This could have been a 20 page short story. There is almost no reason this is a Goosebumps book until the last 2 pages.

THE BAD: The first 117 are insanely repeatative. Eddie and friends try to scare courtney and fail, then try again, and fail. They do this about 3 or 4 times never really learning anything from the failures. We know this is going to lead to the Mud Monsters but it takes 100 pages for them to do so. There is no supernatural aspect to this story until the last 2 pages.

THE GOOD: It’s a good ending. Just would have been just as good in a story 100 pages shorter.



THE TV SHOW EPISODE: This is one of the episodes that they improved on the book slightly. They cut out characters, sped up the pace of the failed ‘scare attempts’ and kicked the story off with a nice creepy “Mud Monster” segment. For some reason nostalgia left me imagining that the mud monsters looked a little better in this than they actually did but all in all this was far from a bad episode.It was humorous even though the main character Courtney is insanely obnoxious.

<------- Book 14. Werewolf of Fever Swamp


Book 16 -------->

No comments:

Post a Comment