Tuesday, October 16, 2012

31 Days of Goosebumps Part 1 - 16. One Day at Horrorland



I’ve come this far... I guess it’s fair to confess this now. I was always a collector. If I found something I loved I’d collect as much of it as I possibly could. Goosebumps was something I collected. One Day At Horrorland is a book I know for a fact I owned and then never read.

Of all the Goosebumps books I’ve read thus far this one felt the most like a Tales From the Crypt episode. It had that awesome blend of humor and terrifying situations. While the book itself is no longer scary to me; I think the general idea of an amusement park gone wrong is an unsettling one.

The Morris family can’t catch a break. Although it seems their luck has changed. After driving around aimlessly and getting lost attempting to find Zoo Gardens Amusement Park they find a new amusement park called Horrorland. Filled with Monsters and horrifying rides they find the place to be an exciting adventure... until they realize the horrors they face are very real.

In the end the amusement park all a game show for Monsters. The Morris’ assume that they’re safe, until the Monster’s show how they say “goodbye” at the end of the show. Luckily Lizzy and her brother Luke figure out how to stop the Monsters. They escape home only to have a monster show up at their doorstep to give them free passes for their next visit.

THE BAD: I really have nothing bad to say about this one. It knew exactly the type of story it was. It was full of humor and nice little scares (specifically for a children’s book). I’d genuinely re-read this one!

THE GOOD: As I said this book knew what it was. The ending actually made me laugh out loud. I’m excited to watch the TV episode of this one.



THE TV SHOW EPISODE: Okay... a lot to process. This adaptation isn’t exactly accurate. I mean it follows the book but they’ve combined two male characters into one. The problem with this is that one character was a coward and the other overly excited about the amusement park so mid-episode the character just changes completely. The actress who plays Lizzy is actually a solid actress I’m actually let down to see she hasn’t done much in a few years (her last role being in 2005). The second half of the episode focuses entirely on the Monster Channel GameShows... this is extremely entertaining. This was the ‘Tales from the Crypt’ style humor I was hoping the episode would contain. The one thing that bugs me is how some of the costumes look great and other’s look like they were made from the same person who designed the Goblins in Troll 2.

<------- Book 15. You Can't Scare Me


Book 17 ------->

No comments:

Post a Comment