Wednesday, June 26, 2013

My Latest Obsession: Barenaked Ladies - Grinning Streak

I wanted to introduce a new weekly posting on Wednesday. My Latest Obsession will discuss something I've been obsessing over in the last week. It can either be a new album, book, movie, app, etc or something I've revisited for the first time in years. Enjoy!


Barenaked Ladies: Grinning Streak

Barenaked Ladies is one of those bands the world has always loved. In fact their breakthrough album Stunt was #36 on my list of Albums That Made Me Love Music. A few years ago singer (and suspected coke-addict) Steven Page quit the band. Fans didn't know what to anticipate or expect from the Steven Page-less Barenaked Ladies.

The first album without Page was All in Good Time. It was a decent enough album BNL's newest release Grinning Streak is the solid evidence that the fun-loving alt-rock group from Canada is just as great as a foursome as they were as a fivesome.

I went into this album excepting something very moderate, instead by the third track I was already falling in love with this album. In my mind there are two versions of the Barenaked Ladies. There was the band that existed between Gordon and Stunt. That BNL was acoustic and goofy. Filled with random raps and lighthearted fun. The other band began on Maroon and lasted until Steven Page's departure. This version was focused on a more synth drive New Wave sound. All in Good Time felt like it was trying to return to the BNL roots but Grinning Streak beautifully melds both of these versions of BNL into one perfect sound.

If you wrote off the group after Page left, you're going to find yourself falling in love with this BNL

No comments:

Post a Comment