Tuesday, June 25, 2013

100 Albums That Make Me Love Music: 32. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Murder Ballads


32. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds: Murder Ballads

For years all I knew by Nick Cave was Red Right Hand. It’s a perfectly good song and I was a fan but I never bothered to look into his career until one day I heard a song from the 50’s called stagger lee.

Lloyd Price’s dance-y #1 came on the oldies station and I fell in love with it. Back then Limewire was still a thing so I downloaded the song, while searching for it I also found a song called Stagger Lee by Nick Cave. Curiousity got the best of me and I downloaded. The song was eye opening to what I’ve been missing. There was a funky bassline; dark lyrics and some of the weirdest noises in Alternative rock (if you can even classify it as that).

Murder Ballads is an album that’s exactly what it sounds like, a collection of songs about Murder. There’s not a bad song on the record but there are a few songs that explode in ways that other tracks simply can’t, be it the slow eerie Song of Joy or the 14 minute long O’Malley’s Bar. 

Cave’s songwriting truly shines on this record as he powerfully details settlings and emotions in ways that put you in the boots of the character... sometimes you’re the murderer sometimes you’re the victim and sometimes you’re the cop witnessing it all go down.

If you only know Nick Cave as “that guy who’s song is in every Scream movie” it’s time to pick up Murder Ballads.

No comments:

Post a Comment