Tuesday, June 11, 2013

100 Albums That Make Me Love Music: 34. The Ergs - dorkrockcorkrod

34. The Ergs: Dorkrockcorkrod

I remember going through a break-up in late 2008 when a friend told me that this was his favorite break-up album. He offered to send me the whole album but I requested he just send me a track or two that would convince me to buy it from the band (I don’t like getting free albums weird I know). So he sent me Pray For Rain and Everything Falls Apart ... And More. I really dug both songs and decided I did want to pick up the record.

The Ergs made their full length debut with this fun pop punk concept album. The album follows the process of a relationship. The album kicks off (First Song, Side One & A Very Pretty Song For A Very Special Young Lady) with lead singer Mikey Erg confessing his love to an unnamed girl. However the album reaches Pray For Rain where Mikey explains that since falling in love his songwriting has suffered. He begins hoping for the eventual break-up so he can write an incredible break up album.

Eventually he writes his songs but misses his lady.

The concept is a weird and straight but is also an insightful look at the world of Pop Punk and songwriting in general. If you’re a fan of quick old school pop punk like MxPx this album is a necessary record to have in your collection.


No comments:

Post a Comment