Thursday, June 13, 2013

100 Movies That Make Me Love Film: 34. Rushmore

34. Rushmore

I will never totally understand why my parents EVER rented this movie. It’s definitely not their type of movie at all. All I can assume is that they saw Bill Murray was in it and figured why not. Either way I remember they watched it, hated it and recommended it to me. I was confused by it.

You see when I saw Rushmore I was in Junior High. The film didn’t make me laugh, but I didn’t hate it... I just couldn’t understand it. It wasn’t until I was in High School and I watched Royal Tenenbaums that I started to understand the movie. Still I didn’t revisit Rushmore throughout my high school career, nor most my college career. In fact it was during my last semester of college when I was working at a video store when I finally rewatched it, almost 10 years after it’s release.

I suddenly loved it and it immediately became my favorite Wes Anderson film. I understand why this is one of his most praised films (if not his best). This is where you truly see what we’ve come to know as ‘Wes Anderson’s Style’. While Bottle Rocket contained elements of his style it mostly felt like a typical indie film, Rushmore began his ‘Movies that feel like Plays’ style of filmmaking. 

In that year of rediscovery I must have watched this film damn near 50 times. I can quote it by memory at this point and frequently reference in my day to day life. It’s a must see for the Indie Film Kid.


No comments:

Post a Comment