Sunday, August 4, 2013

Self Observational Sunday: Defending ICP

So it's no secret that I'm a fan of Insane Clown Posse. I'd never call myself a Juggalo but I've enjoyed the band for as long as I've known of them (roughly around the release of Halls of Illusion). I even once defended them on my old Guilty Pleasures column for Geekscape.

Now most of my opinions on the band are covered in that particular article. The reason I bring them up right now is I recently read an article from GQ where Rob Tannenbaum (cowriter of I Want My MTV) ranked the 25 worst rappers of all time. Rob is already getting a negative response for some of his inclusions and for the most part it feels like "easy targets", Including artists like Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer is basically just going "Remember we only ironically like these guys now so they must be terrible rappers" when they're half decent. However the biggest broken record is calling Insane Clown Posse the #1 worst rappers of all time, beyond the fact that this is incorrect... it's not even original.

Everyone wants to gang-up on ICP when they're not even serious rappers. It'd be like putting Lonely Island or "Weird Al" on the list. Comedy Rap should instantly get a pass, it's not about being a good rapper, it's just about being funny and lyrically ICP is fucking hilarious.

If we want to put anyone on the "Worst Rappers List" I don't know... the first thing that comes to my mind is BrokenCyde remember those assholes?


No comments:

Post a Comment