Tuesday, August 13, 2013

100 Albums That Make Me Love Music: 25. Catch 22 - Keasbey Nights


25. Catch 22: Keasbey Nights

When I was part of the TV studio different people could bring in music for us to play over the morning announcements. One day I was setting up the cameras and I heard the catchiest chorus I’d ever heard. I immediately had to figure out who picked the song. It was that moment I discovered Catch 22 and the song Kesabey Nights.

I didn’t even hesitate to purchase the CD right away and fell in love with the album. When I have to think of albums that represented high school for me, that’s one of the top albums that come to mind.

In the mid-2000’s lead singer Tomas Kalnoky’s new band Streetlight Manifesto re-recorded the entire album. While the album was more polished and highlighted the horn parts as well as the lyrics it certainly took away part of the greatness of the grungey low-budget recording.

It’s most evident in the song As the Footsteps Fade Away. In 1998 when Tom screams “Don’t Take My Mother Away” it stabs you in the gut and forces you to deal with the emotions you’re feeling. In the rerecording it simply sounds like a man singing a song.

My favorite track on the album has always been the closing track 1,2,3,4. There was a good period of time where you couldn’t go to a local show in my town and NOT hear a band cover it. 

IF you were a 90’s ska/punk kid. This was in your album collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment