Thursday, March 7, 2013

100 Movies That Make Me Love Film - 48. Do The Right Thing


48. Do The Right Thing

The first time I ever really knew of the movie was on the Evening With Kevin Smith DVD. I’m sure I had heard of it previously in an obscure reference but it was when Kevin Smith said that Clerks was originally inspired by the movie. Now that I think about it, it might not have been Evening but instead the Clerks 10 year anniversary DVD. 

Regardless of where I heard it, I netflixed the movie shortly after that. I knew a little bit about the movie from the I Love the 80’s TV specials. Regardless of how you feel about Spike Lee as a writer, director or a person I think most people agree that the message of Do The Right Thing is the director at his best and least judgmental.

The film follows Pizza delivery boy Mookie on a hot day in New York. Racial tensions are at an all time high. The film contains a snapshot of a small inner city life. It’s packed with funny moments and lovable characters. 

There’s a lot of good the movie’s trying to say. Sadly the words and actions of the director make people already approach the film with a closed mind and a desire to hate it. For me this is Lee’s best, every element works. 

It’s definitely not for everyone but it comes highly recommended by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment