Friday, July 8, 2011

Walking in Los Angeles



So I've been here a full day. It's getting better. I'm taking it one day at a time, slowly adjusting and pretending that it's just a vacation for now.

In my last blog entry I said that I'm going to give it a year and then either stay here or move back east; this did start a bit of a response on twitter/facebook. I do want to explain that for me, I never moved to LA with the plans of it being my new home or living here for life. i wanted to experience it, see it for what it is. Make connections. But I digress.

Yesterday was fun. That's the simplest way to say it. I started with watching Season of the Witch for Geekscape. I can't say I recommend it. After that I decided to go on an adventure, which was mostly inspired by hunger but whatever. I walked to McDonalds (really taking in the LA experience) and then Ameba Records. Ameba is an INCREDIBLE record store, specifically for a person like me. It's the type of place that makes you want to have a good job just so you can spend it constantly on shit there. I got 4 CDs which could all be called "Matt Kelly" Albums:
1. Pigeon John and the Summertime Pool Party - Pigeon John is one of my top 5 favorite rappers. Sadly he's not popular enough that his albums are easy to find. Luckily for me he's from Southern California so I knew if anyone would have his albums... this place would.
2. Wesley Willis: Rush Hour - I was actually shocked to find a Wesley Willis album there. I will definitely be returning in the future to find more
3. The Rentals: The Return of the Rentals - After Weezer broke up the first time, guitarist/back-up vocalist Matt Sharp formed the Rentals. If you know if them at all it's because of their single Friends of P.
4. The Blood Brothers: March on Electric Children - Blood Brothers is one of those bands I love even though you'd never expect them to be a band that I love. I only have two of their albums though; hopefully I'll get all 5 before the year is over.

I returned to the apartment to watch some That 70's Show and work on a ranker list. I Ate some Thai food with Walton for Dinner and then we walked to Ross' and bought some lamps.

I just found out my car will be arriving on Monday. I rank this as good news, now I need to find out if I can get a key to the building so I can leave and not be worried I'll be locked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment