Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A Monthly Mix - August 16th, 2010

So for the last 2 years I've been making a mix once a month of songs and posting them on websites for people to download. Why I've never bothered to post them on this blog actually baffles me. So here's the first of a monthly series.

The difference between this blog and the other places is I'll bring down the reason why some of the songs have appeared on the mix (but not all). The two strangest song choices on this CD are "Forever Young" from Care Bears 2: The New Generation & Home is Where the Heart is from the Disney Afternoon. This is almost strictly because since deciding that I am going to move in the near future both of those songs have been running through my head. Although not strictly due to their lyrical content (although it's part of it) those songs hold a very special nostalgic spot in my heart.

As for the Micky & Mitch song from A Mighty Wind, I had recently re-watched the movie. While all the songs in that movie are funny, that one is legitimately beautiful. I slightly broke one of Nick Hornby's rules of mixtapes (never two songs by the artist) I got around that by including the live version of Blaster the Rocket Man's best song "Frankenstien's Monster Needs a Wife" as well as the wonderfully bizarre Calibretto cover of their hit song "Lost in Space (I'm Only Humanoid)".

The Leftovers are my newest obsession. Jonathan London played them for me while I was in LA and I haven't been able to stop listening to their 2009 album Eager to Please. If you enjoy "Get out of my Head" I highly recommend purchasing the whole album.

Finally Nirvana's "Serve the Servants". It's easy to crap on Kurt Cobain for being a weak guitar player and terrible vocalist/song-writer. While I definitely agree with the poor song writing of Nevermind (Cobain even admitted to just going into the studio and making up words on the spot just to fit the melodies) when they recorded In Utereo he actually wrote down lyrics that reflected on his career ("Teenage angst has paid off well/now I'm bored and old"), the relationship of the press & his wife ("if she floats then she is not/a witch like we thought") & his relationship with his parents ("I tried hard to have a father but instead I had a dad"). The song is the most clear song Nirvana has every released, which is to say it actually makes sense.

Here's the Full Track List:
1. Palmdale - Afroman
2. It Must Be Wonderful - Outer Circle
3. A Kiss at the End of the Rainbow - Micky & Mitch
4. Forever Young - Care Bears 2
5. Get Out of My Head - The Leftovers
6. Bohemian Like you - The Dandy Warhols
7. Last Nite - The Strokes
8. Serve the Servants - Nirvana
9. Out of my Head - Fastball
10. Just a Gigalo - David Lee Roth
11. Fairytale of New York - No Use for A Name
12. Packing Blankets - Eels
13. Masonic - Craig's Brother
14. Lunch for the Sky - Socratic
15. pw/om - mc chris
16. Frankenstien's Monster Needs a Wife (live) - Blaster the Rocket Man
17. Home is where the Heart is - Disney Afternoon
18. Once in a Lifetime - Talking Heads
19. We Rule the School - Belle & Sebastian
20. Social Disease - Elton John
21. Lazy Boy Dash - Jimmie's Chicken Shack
22. Lost in Space (I'm only Humanoid) - Calibretto

Links to download:
Rapidshare Link:
http://rapidshare.com/files/413503944/August_16th.zip

MediaFire Link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?muy0h49um96s409

No comments:

Post a Comment