Monday, August 9, 2010

Family in the eyes of a 24 year old

What is family? Let's break it down for me...

Your Parents - It's been common to say that "Dad's influence the boys" and "mother's influence the girls"; I don't agree. In my experience, both work as a unit, my father has definitely influenced parts of me while my mother has influenced other traits. I think both heavily influence who I am and if neither was there; I wouldn't be the person I am.

Siblings - A big part of being a sibling from oldest to youngest is the frustration and fighting. Words are always sad, most of the time, you feel bad, sometimes you don't. Despite how hurtful you can sometimes be, it's always with love.

Aunts, Uncles & Cousins; OH MY - I have cousins... and I am a cousin. I'm not an aunt nor an uncle... to my knowledge. If it's me, I feel like most people in any family always feel like the odd person out; and you can't help but wonder if the family would care if you disappear;. but regardless what part of the puzzle you are be it the drunk, the helpful one, the talented one, the fuck up, the loud mouth, the cook, the comforter... you're still important to the puzzle, when you're missing everyone takes note of it.

Grandparents Every grandparent in every family is different. Some are racist, some are mean, some can tell boring stories, some can be bizarre, some give you candy... but sometimes; if you're really lucky. You're blessed with interesting people, who will be the most important and impactful people in your life... I was lucky to have that 4 times over.

YOU - Figuring out what you are in your family is the most impossible aspect of family. You could ask each family member and you'll get a different answer; Brother, Son, Cousin, Godson, Nephew, Niece, Daughter, Husband, Grandfather, Wife, Mother, Father, Daughter, Aunt, Uncle, Goddaughter. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter... you've got a family... that's what's the important part of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment