Monday, February 9, 2009

Blink 18Who?

So perhaps I’m simply turning into a 13-year-old girl but it’s looking like 2009 is going to be a whole lot like building a musical time machine that’s taking us back to 1998-1999.

It was already announced the No Doubt was having a reunion show (which as long as Gwen doesn’t Diva out and they don’t play anything post-Return to Saturn). In other news Get Up Kids are planning a summer tour for the 10-year anniversary release of Something to write Home About

Oh, and apparently some band called Blink 182 is recording a new album.

For those of you who don’t understand why this is big news let me explain something. Perhaps this is my shortcoming but I really don’t care about the No Doubt reunion, and even Get Up Kids I can take it or leave it. Granted I think Something to write home about is the greatest pop punk album of all time, everything else by Get Up Kids seems just… meh.

Blink however, is the band of MY childhood as well as thousands of other kids. I don’t think there is a punk/pop punk/powerpop/emo band out there working today that hasn’t been influenced by the songs that appeared on 
Dude Ranch, Enema of the State, and Take your Pants off and Jacket.

A lot of people feel like Blink ended on a sour note musically. Granted while their self-titled album is no-ones favorite Blink CD, it’s still better than anything that 75% of the punk bands of today have been spewing out.

A blink 182 reunion gives me some bizarre form of hope. Granted, I think a lot of people are doubting that Tom can keep his ego in check long enough to not become super controlling. Either way, between this and the new Green Day album in May, I feel like I’m high school all over again. Except you know this time I won’t spend my time getting my ass kicked (well as much).

Perhaps this is a little insensitive but I’m almost glad that Travis Barker almost died now. (and I just signed my ticket to hell)

No comments:

Post a Comment