Sunday, October 5, 2014

31 Days of Halloween - Day 5: Stitches

For the last few years I always do a 31 days of Halloween month. The past few years I re-read all the original Goosebumps books and before that I'd watch 31 horror movies. However I realized every single time I watched 31 Horror movies I exclusively picked ones I enjoyed. I decided to do something slightly different. I composed a list of every horror movie I owned and put them in alphabetical order. Then using a random number generator I generated 31 numbers and watched the movies that corresponded with those numbers. Some are great films and others… well… are less than fun let's say. I hope you enjoy!




Day 5: Stitches (Movie #450)

Stitches is one of the newer movies on the list. It's one of four films released in the last two-three years. I first heard of the movie when Geekscape was emailed about it looking to see if anyone wanted to review it. I was slow to respond and someone else beat me to it but praised it so heavily that grabbed a copy of my own when it was on sale at Best Buy less than a month later.

This film is painfully underrated at this time and I genuinely hope it finds it audience in the future and develops the kind of cult following it deserves. It's got a genuinely good blend of horror and comedy, some amazing kills and most importantly the jokes actually are funny (a rare feat in horror comedies).

The story follows a group of kids who accidentally kill a clown at a birthday party. A couple years later the clown raises from the dead to exact vengeance on the kids who killed him. That's basically everything you need to know. There's a lot of weird and wacky twists but specifically given how new this movie is I don't feel right spoiling anything.


I will say that the film is extremely stylized in it's filming and editing and while it sometimes relies on CGI it's got a pretty heavily dose of practical effects. The only major issue is that the practical effects definitely makes the CGI parts look shittier.

Regardless I had a great time rewatching this and while it was only the second time I sat down to watch it I wouldn't be shocked if I decided to force some friends to watch this later on this movie.

Matt Kelly is the host of the popular podcast The Saint Mort Show, a frequent contributor to Geekscape.net, the founder of Chords for Cures and the co-writer/co-director of the upcoming comedy Describing the Moon. He also loves it when people surprise him with purchases from his Amazon Wishlist… just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment