Monday, October 13, 2014

31 Days of Halloween - Day 13: Society

For the last few years I always do a 31 days of Halloween month. The past few years I re-read all the original Goosebumps books and before that I'd watch 31 horror movies. However I realized every single time I watched 31 Horror movies I exclusively picked ones I enjoyed. I decided to do something slightly different. I composed a list of every horror movie I owned and put them in alphabetical order. Then using a random number generator I generated 31 numbers and watched the movies that corresponded with those numbers. Some are great films and others… well… are less than fun let's say. I hope you enjoy!

Day 13: Society (Movie #440)

When I was a kid the Society VHS cover was always etched into my brain (as noted here). Despite that I never felt the need to rent it. However has years went on I'd see review after review of praise and started to realize I made a mistake not renting this when I had a chance.

By the time I was in college this film was pretty high up on my list of movies I need to see but I had no way of acquiring a copy. Then came my discovery of VHSPS. Thanks to them I was finally able to see this movie earlier this year.

All in all Society is a pretty incredible movie. It's a slow-burn but they sprinkle in just enough surrealism to keep your attention. It's all building to the intense and bizarre finale.


Due to the unique twists and turns and the genuine difficulty it takes to find this movie I'm going to keep my review shorter than usual. If you're a fan of practical effects however I will say that the ending is a practical effects triumph.

Matt Kelly is the host of the popular podcast The Saint Mort Show, a frequent contributor to Geekscape.net, the founder of Chords for Cures and the co-writer/co-director of the upcoming comedy Describing the Moon. He also loves it when people surprise him with purchases from his Amazon Wishlist… just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment