Thursday, January 2, 2014

100 Movies That Make Me Love FIlm: 14. Pleaseantville

14. Pleasantville

I remember the first time I saw Pleasantville I thought it was okay but weird and too long. I only watched it because I was obsessed with Fiona Apple’s Across the Universe cover from the soundtrack (as well as the gorgeous music video that accompanied it). 

It wasn’t until many years later that I found myself thinking of the movie again. I eventually rewatched it and loved it. I suddenly started to see all the elements about it that made it so wonderful. Using the backdrop of a Leave it to Beaver style TV show writer/director Gary Ross brilliantly creates a metaphor for the 60’s revolution.

Few films from the 90’s had the amount of symbolism that Ross packed into this 2 hour masterpiece.


There’s not much more I want to say. If you’ve never seen this, you should change that as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment