Thursday, November 21, 2013

100 Movies That Make Me Love Film: 16. Say Anything ...


16. Say Anything

For years and years I knew the Say Anything poster. A man standing outside with a Stereo over his head. I knew the scene, I knew the song and I knew literally nothing else. People would constantly tell me how great the movie was and how much I’d love it. So when I finally bought a DVD player (about 2 years later than the rest of the world) and saw it for $6 on DVD at Target I decided to buy it without knowing much about it.

I fell in love with this movie almost immediately.

I completely and utterly understood exactly why so many people loved this movie. I became obsessed with this film and watched it repeatedly and obsessively. There’s so few things to dislike about this film. It’s an 80’s film that excluding a few outfits doesn’t look or feel 80’s, it’s a teen flick that’s far deeper and more emotionally driven than most teen flicks and the acting is far better than most films of it’s kind.

John Cusack is so amazingly perfect in this film that I completely understand why Chuck Klosterman dedicated an entire chapter in his book Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs based on it. Cusack’s Lloyd Dubler is the person I wish I could be and Diane Court is the girl I wish I could have. I could never understand why I never found Ione Skye attractive in anything else but yet in this she is the end all and be all of sexual perfection.

This is an amazing movie plain and simple. Go see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment