Tuesday, November 26, 2013

100 Albums That Make Me Love Music - 15. Steel Train


15. Steel Train

The first time I heard of Steel Train my friends were making fun of them for being signed to Drive-Thru and with good reason. At the time Drive-Thru was all pop punk bands and then suddenly they book a indie-folk duo. While I enjoyed the band it was definitely a misplaced choice. I really didn’t pay them much attention and neither did Drive Thru.

In 2010 when I went to Los Angeles for San Diego Comic Con and Jonathan London played me this self-titled record. It was like hearing a completely new band. Perhaps it was Jack being a member of fun. or just a natural progression but the acoustic duo was now a full fledged indie rock outfit. 

The opening song Bullet I once read get described as “making you nostalgic for summer events that hadn’t happened”. I can’t think of a better phrase to describe the entire record really. Each song is filled with so much personality and unique musical style that you’re drawn in and you wish you experienced Jack Antonoff’s life.

Songs like You and I Undercover and Behavior belong on movie soundtracks. The entire record is the most have album that almost no one even took notice of. It’s a shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment