Tuesday, April 9, 2013

100 Albums That Make Me Love Music: 43. fun. - Aim & Ignite


43. fun. - Aim and Ignite

The Format: Dog Problems was one of the most life-changing albums ever released for me. It’s rare that something captivates me like that album did. However shortly after it was released the duo that made up The Format called it quits. Luckily Nate didn’t waste time forming a new band with members of Steel Train and Anathallo. fun. was born.

I don’t think I’ve ever anticipated an album release quite like fun.’s debut album (although the Five Iron Frenzy reunion album is now pretty high on my anticipated albums list). Every song I heard made me more excited (Specifically when I heard a demo of At Least I’m Not As Sad) so I was pretty thrilled when the album lived up to everything I hoped.

Blending the sounds of Classic 70’s Rock with Indie Pop fun.’s debut album sounds like a Queen/E.L.O. collaboration. Every song works, but some work better than others. The true stars of the album are the opening track (Be Calm) and The Gambler.

The Gambler is one of the prettiest love songs in Indie Rock history (right up there with Ben Folds’ The Luckiest and Big Star’s Thirteen). With just a simple piano hook and 4 minutes we hear the entire story of a couple through the good and the bad and the bitter end. There are few lyrics cuter than ‘I promise when I grow up I won’t just buy you a rose/I’ll buy you the flower shop and you will never be lonely’.

However Pretty Piano Hooks and Cute lyrics are nothing compared to the epic intro track Be Calm. Words can’t appropriately describe the levels of awesome this song produces. What begins as a pretty violin performance slowly builds to a rock anthem but don’t take my word for it. Listen below.

Lately fun. has blown up with their follow-up album, and while it’s a great album it doesn’t come close to the power of their debut album.

No comments:

Post a Comment