Thursday, February 7, 2013

100 Movies That Make Me Love Film: 52. Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World


52. Scott Pilgrim Vs The World

I first heard of Scott Pilgrim when Jonathan London describe the comic as a must read. I immediately went to the local comic shop and picked up the past and present issues. I fell head over heels with the book. I was literally Scott Pilgrim (as in I was 21 dating an 18 year old asian high schooler and getting picked on by my friends). 

Scott Pilgrim filled the void Harry Potter left between my best friend Jeff and I. When the Harry Potter book series was still incomplete we’d go to diners late at night and discuss the potential conclusions to the story. Then the series ended. Scott Pilgrim popped in at just the right time for us to discuss and attempt to figure out how the book would end.

When the movie was announced I continued to get more and more excited with each piece of news. They were casting the right people for each role, they had Edgar Wright directing which was also the right person. I couldn’t wait to see the movie (but refused to do so until I had read the final book of the series). 

When I finally saw the film it was at a free screening in Philly and I adored it. This movie had the potential to be terrible since the book is a very strange it was very possible that the movie would make zero sense. Luckily Wright found a way to keep all the video game and pop culture references in tack without losing the audience.

I was disappointed by how poorly this movie did and the general backlash towards Michael Cera. While I think he did have a long period of time playing the same type of character movies like Youth in Revolt and Scott Pilgrim show him expanding his acting a little bit but still failed to draw attention. 

This is also one of those movies with perfect soundtracks. Every song is so well used including the original music from Beck. I remember being excited when he was announced as the person who’d craft the songs of Sex Bob-Omb. My friends who only knew Beck as a weird indie artist didn’t think he’d pull off the right “shitty garage sound”. However being that one of my favorite songs by him was Motherfucker off Mellow Gold I had no doubt he could make the songs work.

There will never be another movie like Scott Pilgrim Vs The World and I’m pretty glad that this will always remain the most unique comic book-romantic-comedy-action film of it’s kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment