Tuesday, February 19, 2013

100 Albums That Make Me Love Music: 50. Sigur Ros ( )


50. Sigur Ros: ( )

There are few bands who’s music are perfect for movie scores quite like Sigur Ros. Their blend of layered relaxing music and mix of Icelandic and Hopelandic (a made up language of Gibberish) their songs are free to open interruption. No album demonstrates it like their third LP ( ).

I first heard of Sigur Ros through my friend Mitch. He suggested I download a few of their songs. I enjoyed them but didn’t love them. A few days later I attended a screening of Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou in which one of Sigur Ros’ songs was predominately used, that was when they caught my attention. A few weeks later I found this record in the used bin at F.Y.E.

I went from appreciating Sigur Ros to absolutely loving them within the hour it took to listen to this album. While it’s not regarded as their best album (critically speaking then 2nd album Agaetis Byrjun is their highest rated album) this is my favorite of theirs.

I love structure and concept of the album. The album contains no title, no lyrics and no song title, it’s completely lined up to be about whatever the listener wants it to be able. Furthermore the musical structure changes mid-album. After Untiled Track 4 there’s 30 seconds of silence before tone completely changes.

Untitled Tracks 1-4 are soothing and mellow songs. A mix of ambient guitar and xylophone give the songs a care-free vibe. While Untitled Tracks 5-8 are darker and more aggressive. This creates a double meaning to the albums title, not only is it ( ) so that the listener can incorporate whatever the album is about. However the two parenthesis also represent the two halves of the album.

In college I used to listen to this album when I was studying to put myself as ease. I even convinced other students to purchase the album around finals time. I can’t recommend this album enough. If you’ve never heard Sigur Ros before, this is a perfect starting point.

No comments:

Post a Comment