Thursday, May 17, 2012

100 Movies That Make Me Love Film - 81. It's a Wonderful Life

Every Thursday I Discuss One of the Movies that make me love Film





There are few films that get me as choked up as this movie. I was extremely late to the party with this film. I’d always heard references to it, specifically stuff like “If a bell rings an angel gets it’s wings”. 
The movie is a christmas classic, but unlike most christmas classics you can watch it at any time. Christmas is just a back-drop for the film. It speaks to a very human emotion of hoping that what we do makes a difference.

In my life I’ve helped organize many charities, I’ve helped friends in need, I’ve put money in homeless people’s cups, but yet I always feel like when I need help the most a rain cloud appears above my head. It’s a Wonderful Life shows people care about you.
The film is a tour de force of perfect acting, directing and writing. It tears me up that there is so much I want to say about this movie and I’m completely unable to find the words, so I guess I’ll just tell the story of the first time I watched this film.
The year was 2008. I had moved out of my parents house and into my friends apartment. I had just graduated college, lost my job and been dumped by my first true love. I was at my lowest. I decided that since it was December I’d put It’s a Wonderful Life on my netflix queue. 
The film arrived December 23rd. I knew I was going to wake up early in order to drive to my parents house for Christmas Eve and help prepare the house for Christmas. Regardless I wanted to see the film being a fan of Frank Capra. 
Do you know that moment when you’re just about to cry when you almost hiccup a tear? I did that every ten minutes or so while watching this movie. The final scene when George (Jimmy Stewart) runs through the town yelling merry christmas made me suddenly miss my grandfather. I started to do that choked up feeling, when George opens Adventures of Tom Sawyer and reads the inscription from Clarence reading “Remember no man is a failure who has friends” the floodgates opened.
This movie was voted the number one most inspirational film of all time. I almost wish there was a higher ranking. 

tweet. I write for Geekscape.net (This week's Guilty Pleasures: Home Fires), I podcast (Check out this week's episode with Chalie Chan and Josh Ireson of With Life in Mind)



No comments:

Post a Comment