Tuesday, October 28, 2014

31 Days of Halloween - Day 28: The Beast

For the last few years I always do a 31 days of Halloween month. The past few years I re-read all the original Goosebumps books and before that I'd watch 31 horror movies. However I realized every single time I watched 31 Horror movies I exclusively picked ones I enjoyed. I decided to do something slightly different. I composed a list of every horror movie I owned and put them in alphabetical order. Then using a random number generator I generated 31 numbers and watched the movies that corresponded with those numbers. Some are great films and others… well… are less than fun let's say. I hope you enjoy!
Day 28: The Beast (Movie #35)

I love and miss the days of the TV Movie/Mini-Series. It always seemed like one of the best places for horror novel adaptations. The 90's had a ton of classic mini-series' Stephen King's IT!, The 10th Kingdom and this THE BEAST based on the novel by Peter Benchley.

I love this mini-series. Even though it hasn't aged well, that almost makes me love it more. I love films that take place at sea, they are the few horror films that terrify me. Peter Benchley is amazing at creating tales of that claustrophobic feeling of being trapped at sea with a beast underneath you.


Now if you've seen the superior film Jaws than you've already seen The Beast. It's the exact same story just with a squid in place of the shark. Jaws is a superior film but I think The Beast is a superior book (Jaws might be one of the worst books I've ever read. Please let me hate mail in the comments). A small town is terrorized by a giant squid, it's up to a group of local fishermen to kill it. 

While the special effects aren't that great, they're actually pretty impressive for a TV-Movie. In general the squid looks cool throughout and really that's all I ask for. 

Matt Kelly is the host of the popular podcast The Saint Mort Show, a frequent contributor to Geekscape.net, the founder of Chords for Cures and the co-writer/co-director of the upcoming comedy Describing the Moon. He also loves it when people surprise him with purchases from his Amazon Wishlist… just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment