Monday, October 27, 2014

31 Days of Halloween - Day 27: Species

For the last few years I always do a 31 days of Halloween month. The past few years I re-read all the original Goosebumps books and before that I'd watch 31 horror movies. However I realized every single time I watched 31 Horror movies I exclusively picked ones I enjoyed. I decided to do something slightly different. I composed a list of every horror movie I owned and put them in alphabetical order. Then using a random number generator I generated 31 numbers and watched the movies that corresponded with those numbers. Some are great films and others… well… are less than fun let's say. I hope you enjoy!
Day 27: Species (Movie #441)

I remember watching this movie during a birthday sleepover in like 5th or 6th grade. There was one reason we wanted to watch it. Boobs. What can I say, I was a cliche'd prepubescent kid. However luckily for me the movie was pretty good!

It's been quite a few years since I've seen this movie. I just recently purchased it when a store was having a going out of business sale. The only things I remembered from watching it as a child was the nudity, the "kiss of death" scene and the very last shot. Watching it now I was most shocked by how well known the cast is. Also while she hasn't been in a big film in a while Natasha Henstridge is still absolutely gorgeous.



The story follows a group of scientists who must track and kill an alien/human hybrid created by a Government organization. Her primary goal is to mate and reproduce as quickly as possible. She will kill anything that gets in her way (ripping the spine out of a rival woman for example). 

What really shocked me was how hard it was to watch the beginning of the film where a young Michelle Williams is transformed into a cocoon. She has no control over what's happening to her and begins crying and clawing at her face and hands where tentacles begin to stem out of her. It reminds you that she didn't choose this, she was created. It's rare that you actually have a moment where you feel genuine sympathy for the "villain" in a horror movie.

I recently rewatched Splice from a few years ago and if you're looking for a double feature, this and Splice are perfect.

Matt Kelly is the host of the popular podcast The Saint Mort Show, a frequent contributor to Geekscape.net, the founder of Chords for Cures and the co-writer/co-director of the upcoming comedy Describing the Moon. He also loves it when people surprise him with purchases from his Amazon Wishlist… just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment