Friday, October 24, 2014

31 Days of Halloween - Day 24: Bela Lugosi Meets a Brooklyn Gorilla

For the last few years I always do a 31 days of Halloween month. The past few years I re-read all the original Goosebumps books and before that I'd watch 31 horror movies. However I realized every single time I watched 31 Horror movies I exclusively picked ones I enjoyed. I decided to do something slightly different. I composed a list of every horror movie I owned and put them in alphabetical order. Then using a random number generator I generated 31 numbers and watched the movies that corresponded with those numbers. Some are great films and others… well… are less than fun let's say. I hope you enjoy!

Day 24: Bela Lugosi Meets A Brooklyn Gorilla (Movie #41)

This is one of the most movies I own and I'm completely okay with that. This is one of those movies where during the entire 74 minutes all you can think is "someone approved this". It's one of the most incredibly baffling films I've ever watched.

This is just barely a "horror movie" in fact it's not a horror movie. The only horror elements are (a) the presence of Bela Lugosi and (b) a plot involving brain swapping… basically this is as much of a horror film as say… Abbot & Costello Meet Frankenstein.


This piece of cinema is the only film starring Duke and Sam. The duo was basically a duplicate of Dean and Jerry, this film basically killed their career before it even came out. When word spread that two impersonators were getting their own film many people (including Jerry Lewis) were furious and did everything in their power to make sure Duke and Sam never worked again. The duo split and remained mostly unseen excluding a few cameos in B-movies. 

The plot-line is confusing, bad and ends with one of the most cliche'd endings imaginable. I don't want to spoil it for anyone who wants to see it but I promise IT'S nothing you ALL couldn't hAve DREAMed up.

Matt Kelly is the host of the popular podcast The Saint Mort Show, a frequent contributor to Geekscape.net, the founder of Chords for Cures and the co-writer/co-director of the upcoming comedy Describing the Moon. He also loves it when people surprise him with purchases from his Amazon Wishlist… just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment