Wednesday, October 22, 2014

31 Days of Halloween - Day 22: The Last Exorcism

For the last few years I always do a 31 days of Halloween month. The past few years I re-read all the original Goosebumps books and before that I'd watch 31 horror movies. However I realized every single time I watched 31 Horror movies I exclusively picked ones I enjoyed. I decided to do something slightly different. I composed a list of every horror movie I owned and put them in alphabetical order. Then using a random number generator I generated 31 numbers and watched the movies that corresponded with those numbers. Some are great films and others… well… are less than fun let's say. I hope you enjoy!

Day 22: The Last Exorcism (Movie #297)

Right off the bat I'm not a fan of found footage nor exorcism movies. However every once and a while I'll stumble upon a movie that I found entertaining or interesting enough that I decide to buy it when I see it on sale. That's basically The Last Exorcism in a nutshell. It's not a perfect movie but it's definitely worth the $4.99 at Best Buy price tag.

The biggest issue with the movie is not the plot (which is pretty good) but the length of the movie vs the length of time this story needed to be told. The film is short (maybe an hour and 20 minutes) but it doesn't really present anything insanely different than what the average exorcism movie hasn't already done. It also doesn't present found footage in anything new and interesting.



Instead of wasting so much time on unnecessary story and character development I think this film would have worked much better as a short in one of the V/H/S movies. It has all the elements you look for in one of those stories and probably would have ended up being the highlight of the film, instead of just being a fun but mostly mediocre film.

Again the movie isn't terrible (hell I'd go as far to say it's good). It's just fairly forgettable and overall average. 

Matt Kelly is the host of the popular podcast The Saint Mort Show, a frequent contributor to Geekscape.net, the founder of Chords for Cures and the co-writer/co-director of the upcoming comedy Describing the Moon. He also loves it when people surprise him with purchases from his Amazon Wishlist… just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment