Sunday, October 26, 2014

31 Days of Halloween - Day 26: Dead Alive

For the last few years I always do a 31 days of Halloween month. The past few years I re-read all the original Goosebumps books and before that I'd watch 31 horror movies. However I realized every single time I watched 31 Horror movies I exclusively picked ones I enjoyed. I decided to do something slightly different. I composed a list of every horror movie I owned and put them in alphabetical order. Then using a random number generator I generated 31 numbers and watched the movies that corresponded with those numbers. Some are great films and others… well… are less than fun let's say. I hope you enjoy!
Day 26: Dead Alive (Movie #110)

There are some movies that you will never forget the first time you saw it. At the time I had a friend named Adam that we would rent and watch horror movies together every weekend. I had read multiple times about Dead Alive on websites like Video Graveyard and BadMovies.org, the back cover provided lots of prepubescent nightmare fuel for me years earlier and the advertisement bragging "the goriest movie ever made" all forced me to HAVE to watch this movie.

This is a movie that you don't see, you experience it. While I enjoy watching this film by myself it's definitely a film that works ever better with a big group. As far as plot goes there's nothing super new. It's a zombie movie and follows most of the rules of zombie movies. It's the sense of humor, the level of gore and the general insanity and fast pace that makes this film stand out amongst the rest.


After watching this movie I don't think I was affected by gore ever again. I was completely desensitized to it until recently when films like Hostel and Human Centipede upped the levels of gore and tried to make everything more realistic. For me I'll always prefer the over the top cartoon violence of this infamous film. 

Matt Kelly is the host of the popular podcast The Saint Mort Show, a frequent contributor to Geekscape.net, the founder of Chords for Cures and the co-writer/co-director of the upcoming comedy Describing the Moon. He also loves it when people surprise him with purchases from his Amazon Wishlist… just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment