Thursday, September 13, 2012

100 Movies That Make Me Love Film: 64. Before Sunrise



I can’t remember why I saw this movie. I know it was based on a recommendation, possibly from a book. If I had to just randomly guess what inspired it I’d say it came from something Chuck Klosterman may or may not have written in one of his books. 

Anyway Before Sunrise follows Jesse, an american on vacation and Celine a young french girl who meet on a train and wander the streets of Vienna all night long talking about philosophy, life, literature and much more.

That single paragraph is literally the entire plot summary. I could get in depth about every place they visited and everything they said but that’d be a waste of time and it’d also spoil elements of the movie for those who have not seen it.  As you can tell this is going to be a relatively short write up.

I love this movie, it feels like a Woody Allen film but without the neurotic characters and the random non-linear storytelling (not that I don’t love those elements in his films). The conversations all feel natural and I think that this is always Richard Linklater’s best films, when he’s making something like Slacker, Waking Life or even the sequel Before Sunset it allows his ear for dialogue to truly shine where films like Bad News Bears and School of Rock end up just feeling mediocre.

This is also my favorite performances from both Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy. I always liked to believe that 2 Days in Paris follows Celine 10 years after Before Sunset with her new boyfriend.

For fans of dialogue heavy indie films this is a must see.

Matt Kelly can also be found hosting The Saint Mort Show, Co-hosting the Reddit Horror Club Podcast, Writing for Geekscape,Tweeting and running Dollar Monday Promotions.


<---- 65

No comments:

Post a Comment