Tuesday, September 11, 2012

100 Albums That Make Me Love Music: 64. Clerks Soundtrack




Clerks was one of the most important movies in my life. The second I saw it I knew the kind of filmmaker I wanted to be. It’s also one those rare films where when I listen to the soundtrack I immediately remember the exact scene that the songs went with. It’s reasons like that which make me love the Clerks soundtrack so much.

Much like other 90’s films like Singles and Empire Records the soundtrack to Clerks oozes 90’s nostalgia. It contains bands like Soul Asylum, Alice in Chains and The Jesus Lizard who really only could have existed in the days of grunge as well as Punk sounds of Bad Religion and Corrosion of Conformity and Supernova and plenty of clips from movie (an element of soundtracks that rarely happens anymore).

Unsigned Jersey band Love Among Freaks provided two of the three best tracks the titular opening credits song Clerks and the hilariously broken english metal song Berserker.  Stabbing Westwards techno remix of Violent Mood Swings however is the stand-out track of the album (and also part of the most memorable moment in the film). 

I will always love this album as a time capsle of one of my all time favorite movies. I know the words to every song and know the film line for line. I wish they made soundtracks like this still.

Matt Kelly can also be found hosting The Saint Mort Show, Co-hosting the Reddit Horror Club Podcast, Writing for Geekscape,Tweeting and running Dollar Monday Promotions.


<------- 65

No comments:

Post a Comment