Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Triggered Memory - "Cat Stevens: Mona Bone Jakon"

I'm preparing to do another round of "Second Spinning". I collected my 20 albums that I had mixed feelings on and I started listening to them this week. One of the albums was Cat Stevens Mona Bone Jakon. The opening song on the album is easily my least favorite Cat Stevens single Lady D'Arbanville.  The second the song came on I groaned. Then a weird thing happened…

I own well over 3,000 CDs. I remember the circumstances in which each CD came into my life. I remember what I got from yard sales, what I bought on my own, what was a birthday gift and who got me that gift. Mona Bone Jakon was a gift from my Aunt Lisa when I was in high school. I remember opening the gift and running upstairs and listening to the CD and being disappointed that I didn't like it as much as I had hoped I would.



When I was in high school I discovered my fathers record and cassette collection. One cassette I fell head over heels for was Cat Stevens' Greatest Hits. I listened to that tape constantly down in the basement while doing my homework. I could have been more excited to listen to Mona Bone Jakon (Even though I wasn't familiar with any songs).

When I heard this song on July 15th of 2014 however… it made me cry. On September 2nd, 2013 my Aunt passed away. It was as rough as any death and much like when you lose someone you love there's little things that will trigger you. This Cat Stevens CD did it for me. Why this album? I've owned (and listened to) literally dozens of albums my aunt bought me over the last 20+ years but this one was special.

I never told my aunt I wanted a Cat Stevens album. I never even told her I was a Cat Stevens fan. I never bothered to ask her how she knew but I have my own theory. My family is close, my aunt came over for dinner a bunch. I think she heard me listening to that cassette and decided to get me a Cat Stevens album… maybe it was even her favorite Cat Stevens album. These are the questions that I'll never know the answers to and that makes me sad. It was tonight I realized that this CD is a symbol of love, a very special symbol of love.

At her funeral all of her co-workers and friends would come up to me and my siblings and tell us how much she "loved us as her own children". I know I believed it but tonight, I know it.

Sorry this isn't from Mona Bone Jakon Aunt Lisa… but thanks for everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment