Thursday, March 1, 2012

100 Movies That Made Me Love Film: 92. Pulp Fiction


Every Thursday I Discuss one of the 100 movies that made me love Film

92. Pulp Fiction


I don’t think anyone was prepared for what Quentin Tarantino was about to drop on them in 1994. But it quickly became part of the our society’s vernacular. I didn’t see the movie until 2002/2003 but when I viewed I already knew half the movie from parodies on The Simpsons, Saturday Night Live and Family Guy. The dance sequence, the iconic clothing and the gimp I had already seen in every possible form (except the actual film).


I finally got around to watching the movie a day before going to Creation Festival for a week. So before indulging myself into a world of non-stop praise and worship, I watched 2 hours of sex, drugs and violence. I can’t tell you much about that festival, but I definitely remember watching Pulp Fiction. I curled up on the couch killing time until my girlfriend at the time arrived for our trip but quickly what was intended as ‘background noise’ turned into my full attention.


The dialogue was quick, the camera work was impressive and it didn’t feel like 2 hours at all. I had seen Reservoir Dogs earlier that year and I loved it but this film had completely grabbed my attention. This film is without a doubt the most important and influenical film of the 90’s and possibly in the last 30 years. But the film is far from perfect.


There are classic moments in the film for sure. Vincent and Mia’s date to Jack Rabbit Slim’s, any sequence with Samuel Jackson and the extreme intense needle injection all come to mind. However (and I may be alone here) but the first 20-25 minutes of Butch’s story completely bore me. It’s the only point in the movie where I start to recognize the amount of time I’ve spent watching it.


Regardless of this the film is a great example of the importance soundtrack can have on a film as well as how casting can make or break a movie. This film could have been terrible had anyone played the parts other than who was cast.


If you haven’t seen this Tarantino classic. Rent it right now.



When Matt Kelly's not discussing Tarantino's finest film he's hosting his podcast The Saint Mort Show, tweeting and writing for geekscape.net


<----- 93. Young Frankenstein


91. Clue ------>

No comments:

Post a Comment