Tuesday, March 18, 2014

100 Albums That Make Me Love Music: 3. The Streets - Original Pirate Material

3. The Streets: Original Pirate Material

I didn’t realize it at the time but for the first year that MTV2 launched in my town it introduced me to the music that would shape me. You see when they first flipped the switch I was in a rage (along with everyone I knew). MTV2 replaced our beloved channel “THE BOX”. However while the box did introduce me to the punk bands I grew up loving (like Suicide Machines and “Weird Al” Yankovic), MTV2 introduced me to the bands that showed me what existed outside of the underground punk scene.

In the first night that I laid down to watch it I was introduced to Gorillaz, Tenacious D, Sum 41 and The Streets. Little did I know that over a decade later I’d still be obsessed with all those groups (most of all The Streets).

I did not have the slightish clue what to make out of Let’s Push Things Forward. This song was completely unlike anything I’d ever heard. The thick cockney accent, the techno-y influenced beat blended with reggae dubs, I immediately started downloading anything I could get by the english rap group. 

What I loved the most about the album was the various themes Mike Skinner discusses throughout. Dating, Clubbing, Suicide and Legalizing Pot all appear on the album but are presented in a genuine and sincere perspective. While I love the ‘Party Tracks’ like Sharp Darts and Don’t Mug Yourself but Stay Positive and Weak Become Heroes became the songs I revisited over and over again.


This album (along with #2 on the list) will be the albums that represented my high school memories. This album never EVER left my CD player.

No comments:

Post a Comment