Tuesday, March 25, 2014

100 Albums That Make Me Love Music - 2. Norah Jones: Come Away With Me

2. Norah Jones: Come Away With Me

Let’s talk about me in high school for a second. I was a bit of a loser. I was in all the typical outcast groups (Newspaper, TV Studio, Stage Crew). TV Studio was where I was king. I would come in early and prep, classmates knew me as the TV studio kid. I’d wake up around 6am most mornings and start my day with some MTV and cereal. It was on one of these mornings that I caught the music video for Don’t Know Why by Norah Jones and I fell in love with my first female musician (more on this later).

As soon as I got to school I hopped onto LimeWire (Napster had just been shut down but Limewire was still under the radar) to download a copy of the song to play on the morning credits. On the way home I stopped at Walmart and picked up a copy of Come Away With Me (I have never missed a single Norah Jones release since even though none of them are as good as the debut). 

I’ll be the first person to admit that I fall for celebrities pretty easy but they are almost never musicians, usually it’s quirky female actresses (Christina Ricci and Kate Miccucci have been my biggest celebrity crushes ever to give you an example). However Norah Jones was different, she was classy and quirky but also had a beautiful voice. 

Come Away With Me was the first album to genuinely make me depressed. The same year this album came out my grandfather died. I couldn’t not listen to this album without wishing my grandfather could hear it. It’s a beautiful album that’s a total and utter throwback to 1920’s jazz (A sound she’s never really done again since).


I could pour praises upon praise on this album but instead I’m going to simply tell you to listen to The Painter Song which is my favorite song on the album. It’s a beautiful and perfect little love song. For years this was my favorite album and would never leave my CD player until 2006 ... but more on that next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment