Thursday, April 26, 2012

100 Movies that make me Love Film: 84. Royal Tenenbaums

Every Thursday I discuss one of the 100 films that make me love cinema




Wes Anderson gets a bad rep for being the hipsterest of Hipster. I’m sure that an element of that is true, but I’ve mostly loved all of his movies. The first film of his that really grabbed my attention was Royal Tenenbaums. I don’t remember the circumstances leading to me first watching it but I believe it was based on my high school film teacher recommending it to me.
Royal Tenenbaums is one of those impressive movies with a huge cast of big names and it manages to work from start to finish. Depending on who you talk to some will say Royal Tenenbaums is where Wes peaked others will say it’s where he begins to decline. The biggest complaint being that the movie feels more like a play than a film. This is humorous argument for me though because Rushmore was specifically designed to look like a play. 
The story follows the Tenenbaum family 22 years after their HeyDays. Each member of the family ranging from the sons Chas & Richie, adopted daughter Margot, wife Etheline or her ex-husband Royal has their own issue. When Royal runs out of money he fakes having cancer in order to move back into his house and get to know his family. Slowly he improves their lives (in his own messed up way).
This was the point where Anderson’s screenplay writing started to lean to drama’s with subtle comedy throughout. I really adored this movie and it never fails to make me smile. It has some hard hitting moments, a great soundtrack and a incredible performances. Highly recommended.

When Matt Kelly isn’t defending animated fish comedies of the 60′s he’s tweeting, writing for Geekscape.net and producing his podcast the Saint Mort Show (check out this week’s episode with Joe Whiteford and Chad Neidt as well as his Guilty Pleasure forThe Incredible Mr. Limpet)
<---- 85. Alligator
83. Young@Heart ----->

No comments:

Post a Comment