Thursday, October 3, 2013

31 Days of Goosebumps: Book 34. Revenge of the Lawn Gnomes


Book 34: Revenge of the Lawn Gnomes

Well this was a rough one. But I expected that much.

There’s very little new ground at all on this particular story. I will say that I’m glad that by this point Stine doesn’t waste pages like he used to. The story actually flows and all the events are genuine (no 70+ pages of fake outs before anything happens).

I’ve noticed that every kid in every goosebumps book has a super competitive sibling. Can’t believe it took me 34 books to realize this.

Anyway the story follows two neighbors and their kids. Both families enter their gardens into competitions. Our main character’s father purchases two lawn gnomes and terrible things start happening. Turns out at night the gnomes come to life and create mischief. In the end the day is saved by a dog whistle.

Sounds ridiculous and/or hard to follow. Yeah... not a fan of this book. I may have disliked it more than Be Careful What you Wish For (although I still lilked these characters more despite the fact that they’re very forgettable).

THE BAD: It’s just not a very good book. Far from Stine’s best.

THE GOOD: I was actually startled by the Dog Whistle reveal. I didn’t see that coming.

THE TV SHOW EPISODE:  I remember watching this particular episode the day it aired. It’s one of the better episodes because the ending is better and eerier.

No comments:

Post a Comment