Thursday, May 30, 2013

100 Movies That Make Me Love Film: 36. Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

36. Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

This movie scare the shit out of me as a kid. For years I thought I was the only one but the internet has shown me I was far from alone. It seems that many kids lives were ruined when Christopher Lloyd went from “actor” to “cartoon” near the end of this film. Regardless of how scarring the film may have been, I’ve still always loved it.

Who framed Roger Rabbit is arguably one of the most impressive movies of all time. It has great animation sequences, a tight script and some of the best special effects of all time. The interaction between humans and cartoons throughout the film have yet to be topped in the last 20+ years. Furthermore the movie’s script is a wonderful send off to Chinatown.

Bob Hopskins performance was so perfect that it wasn’t until years later when I saw an interview with him that I realized he wasn’t American. The charming ‘old-timey’ look of this wacky period piece wouldn’t be the same without his down on his lucky P.I. performance.

There’s not a single second of this movie that doesn’t captivate me whether it’s the Eddie trying to solve the case, cartoon characters from different companies interacting or Roger interacting with Eddie. Everything is fantastic and still holds up.

They don’t make kids films like this anymore (unless of course you’re Pixar). It’s scary, it’s funny, it’s dark and it’s full of adult situations. I can watch this a million times and never lose interest.


No comments:

Post a Comment